Southwest Chicken, Kahlua Black Beans and Cheddar Rice
Jennife @ Farm Girl Follies
- Brown rice (enough to make 3 cups cooked)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 8 oz. Cabot Tomato Basil Cheddar, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
- 1 packet Denny Mike’s Chick Magnet Southwest Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons granulated honey
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small red, orange and yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup Kahlua
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- Kosher salt
- Prepare 3 cups brown rice according to package directions. When rice is tender, stir in butter and shredded Cabot cheddar. Season with Kosher salt to taste. Set pan aside with lid on, to keep warm while preparing chicken and vegetables.
- Saute sliced chicken breast in a skillet with 1 Tablespoon olive oil. When no pink remains, sprinkle chicken with Denny Mike’s seasoning packet and 1 Tablespoon water. Stir to combine.
- While chicken cooks, saute garlic in 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a second skillet for 1-2 minutes. Add peppers and onions to the garlic. Saute until tender.
- Rinse and drain black beans. Add to the skillet.
- Combine seasonings and honey in a small bowl. Add seasonings, vinegar, Kahlua and Tabasco to the vegetables and stir to combine. Season with Kosher salt to taste.
- Add chicken to the skillet with the beans and vegetables, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve chicken and bean mixture over cheddar rice. Or, combine rice and bean mixture, then spoon into a large tortilla and roll tightly. Serve burrito with salsa and sour cream.
Please see source website for additional pictures and detailed instructions – Farm Girl Follies
Subscribe via email, so you don’t miss out on something delicious! If you like what you see, please share with your friends.
Buy the book (in Print or on Kindle)
***The mention of any brands and/or Dave Ramsey does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation from the brand or company.