Easy Red Beans & Rice
Get the book “72 Ways to Prepare Beans & Rice…And Love It: A Cookbook for Dave Ramsey Fans” on Kindle for $0.99
During the A-Z Blog Challenge I will bring Dave Ramsey Fans recipes from across the web and around the world that contain BEANS and RICE. As part of the challenge I would love for you to share a link to your favorite budget friendly recipe that starts with the letter of the day.
Easy Red Beans & Rice
Susan Voisin @ FatFree Vegan Kithen
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 green pepper
- 2 ribs celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 15-ounce can cans red beans (no sugar added), drained and well-rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 – 1 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, plus more to serve
- Smoked salt or Liquid Smoke seasoning (optional)
- cooked brown rice, to serve
- Begin heating a large, non-stick pot over medium-high heat as you use the food processor to chop the vegetables: Cut the onion into quarters and pulse it in the food processor to mince; add it to the heated pan. Cut the pepper into quarters and chop it finely in the processor; add it to the pan. Cut the celery into 2-inch long pieces and chop it and the garlicin the processor; add it to the pan.
- Stir the vegetables well and add 2 tablespoons of water. Cook until soft, about 6-10 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, rinse the beans well. Put half of them (1 1/2 cans) into the food processor with half of the can of tomatoes. Process until all the beans are coarsely chopped, just short of pureed.
- When the vegetables are soft, stir in the blended beans, remaining whole beans, remaining tomatoes, and all seasonings except smoked salt. Cover tightly, reduce heat to very low, and cook for at least 30 minutes. Stir every 5 or 10 minutes and add water as needed to keep beans moist but not soupy. Like regular red beans, these taste better the longer they cook, so consider 30 minutes the bare minimum and cook them longer if you can, adding water as necessary.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with smoked salt or a little Liquid Smoke. Stir well, and serve atop rice with more hot sauce on the table.
Please see actual website for pictures and detailed instructions – FatFree Vegan Kitchen
Please share your favorite recipes and enjoy the A-Z Challenge.